(translation: Reason for Hope Child; pronounced Swee-uh-kosh
, brings hope for the future. Her mother is Hy'Shqa (pronounced "Hy'shka")
a Coast Salish/Samish word for "blessing" or "thank you." The name was given to her during a traditional potlatch ceremony held by the Samish Nation
on October 6, 2001. J-59’s brother T'ílem Ínges (J-49),
aunt Suttles (J-40)
and uncle Se-Yi'-Chn (J-45)
received their names in the same way when they were very young. J-59 received her name during the Samish Indian Nation's Naming Ceremony on June 24, 2023.
A one-year symbolic orca adoption includes:
- A personalized adoption certificate with a 3" x 5" photo of your whale.
- A personal biography of your whale.
- A genealogy chart.
- A 16-page informational booklet about the Southern Resident Orcas.
- An annual subscription to our Cetus newsletter.
- Monthly orca updates delivered via email.
- A one-year Whale Museum individual membership.
- Eco Friendly adoption delivered via email includes personalized desktop certificate, Orca Sound Clip (patch, bumper sticker and 16-page Southern Resident Orca booklet not included).
See what is included in Email (Eco) and Family or Classroom
packages! Just change package & delivery options below.
All prices reflect shipping. Packages ship within 5 business days.