Gear Down Workshop
Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10 am to 5 pm (check-in at 9:30 am)
Location is the San Juan Island Grange, near The Whale Museum
The Gear Down Workshop will focus on current issues affecting the Southern Resident orcas with an emphasis on what has been learned through research over the last 10+ years and what gaps still remain.
Invited presenters include:
- Dr. Mike Ford, NOAA, on genetics and paternity
- Dr. John W. Durban, Southall Environmental Associates, and Dr. Holly Fearnbach, SR3, on photogrammetry research and body condition
- Dr. Brad Hanson, NOAA, on prey and diet
- Dr. Dawn P. Noren, NOAA, on contaminant transfer from moms to calves as well as body condition analyses and necropsy results
- Dr. Jennifer Tennessen, NOAA, on integrating movement and sound data to understand differences in foraging-related behaviors and prey capture rates between males and females and across populations
- Grace Ferrara, NOAA, on future plans and actions
- Dr. Linda Rhodes, NOAA, on health
Join us after the workshop at Mike’s Café & Wine Bar on Saturday for a no-host reception.
Don't forget - Lunch can be pre-ordered for $10 per day.
For more information or to register by phone, please call (360) 378-4710 ext. 30.