ASJA Writing Awards Recipient Honorable Mention Best Children's/Young Adult Nonfiction Book 2017: Erich Hoyt's Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
In the Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises, award-winning author and whale researcher Erich Hoyt takes readers into the field for an intimate encounter with some 90 species of cetaceans that make their homes in the world's oceans. Drawing on decades of firsthand experience and a comprehensive familiarity with the current revolution in cetacean studies, Hoyt provides unique insights into the life histories of these compelling marine mammals.
Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises includes:
- detailed profiles of 90 current species of cetaceans
- a report on the newly discovered species in the genus Berardius, a small black form related to the Baird's beaked whale
- fascinating sidebars that bring to life cetacean society and culture
- an enlightening discussion of the differences between dolphins and porpoises
- new information on the history and impact of whaling
- illustrations of each species by renowned artist Uko Gorter
- color photographs by world-famous marine photographer Brandon Cole, among others.
Want to get involved, stay informed and be engaged?
Sign Up for Email Updates
We periodically send out announcements, action items and updates about issues affecting the Southern Resident Orcas and The Whale Museum.
Happy Holidays! We are thankful for you and your support. We are open daily this week from 1o am until 4 pm, Monday-Friday. On Saturday, Dec. 31, we will be open from 10 am until 2 pm. We will close January 1-13 for a brief refurbishment & inventory.; re-opening on Jan. 14, daily 10-4. Happy New Year!